Friday, August 31, 2012

Final Day

Last day of the convention

I chose to skip the morning breakfast and speakers.  I was just too tired to drag myself out of bed.  Too bad, I missed Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker (who I met a few months ago) and the official picture of the Michigan Delegation.

Cindy and I borrowed two delegate badges and visited the convention center in the afternoon.  I wanted her to see the floor and get a few pictures.









We stopped by Ambassador Ron Weiser's suite (556) before the convention started.  His suite was right about Fox News as you can see in this view of Brett Baier.





As you can see the suite had a great view of the floor.





We only stuck around for about 30 minutes.  Had a nice conversation with David Trott & his wife.  Looking forward to playing golf with him at Oakland Hills in a couple of weeks :)

In order to sit with Cindy this night, I chose to give up my Alternate credential and the MRP staff (Henri) was able to find me two seats together.  They turned out to be in the 2nd to last row of the stadium! 





I think in the end I was doing the staff a favor.  They had a very hard time this week trying to accommodate a lot of requests for access.  By giving up my credential on the final night when Romney would be speaking, someone else would get an excellent seat for the final night.

I will admit that I "put a little guilt trip" on the staff which got Cindy and I passes for the Journey concert later in the evening.  (Thanks to Sarah Prues Hecker)

We heard from Tom Stemberg who is one of the founders of Staples.  He talked about how Bain Capital was instrumental in getting them started.





We also had a dozen Olympians come out on stage.  One of the speakers in this group was Mike Eruzione (Captain of the Miracle On Ice 1980 Hockey Team).  The theme was to emphasize the great job Mitt did in the 2002 Salt Lake Olympic Games.  It was a mess when Mitt took over and rescued the games from complete disaster.





One of the interesting stories leading into tonight's session was the "mystery speaker" that was on the schedule.  Turns out the surprise speaker was Clint Eastwood!  His speech was very unusual.  He placed an empty chair next to the podium and pretended to have a conversation with President Obama.  The speech kind of sputtered between some funny lines.  It was not one of his finer moments.  But there were a few moments I enjoyed.  When he said when Obama as not getting the job done "its time to let you go" the crowd went nuts.





Here is the entire speech that I found on Youtube:



No comments:

Post a Comment